Taking care of your skin is an essential part of your overall health and well being, especially during the holiday season which can be a stressful time of year. Removing makeup, moisturizing, exfoliating and nourishing your body with the right foods are all important aspects of treating your skin right. From time to time, it’s nice to go above and beyond and treat yourself to a face mask or facial. While facials are a fun way to pamper yourself, they have even been proven to lower stress levels as well, according to Well Being Secrets.
Best of all, facials don’t have to be expensive. There are several homemade face mask recipes that you can make right in your own kitchen. So the next time you have a Friday night or Sunday afternoon to yourself, check out these do-it-yourself face mask recipes and let the calming relaxation take over your body:
Nourishing Honey Mask
This homemade face mask recipe from Marie Claire contains honey, which is an anti-bacterial and nutritional yeast, which is high in vitamin B. Together with chamomile tea, these ingredients can help fight breakouts and control acne. For those who prefer, you can use manuka instead of honey. Follow these directions for a rich and nutritive facial:
- Brew hot water to make 1 cup of chamomile tea using two bags. Allow tea to cool.
- In a small bowl, combine 1 teaspoon nutritional yeast with 1 tablespoon raw honey or manuka.
- Pour in cooled chamomile tea until the mixture turns into a paste. Mix well.
- Spread mask in a thin layer over your face.
- Let mask sit for 20 minutes.
- Rinse mask from face and pat dry with a towel.
Not only do oats make for a wholesome, filling breakfast, they also serve as a soft exfoliate that goes gentle on your skin, explained the blog Deliciously Ella. Containing amino acids, oats can help to repair skin damage and heal blemishes. This oat mask can work wonders on your skin, removing dead skin cells so that your face is left feeling fresh and renewed. Moreover, oats are known to be naturally soothing and as such can help reduce redness on the skin. This is a mask that’s great to use after a sunburn. The honey in this mask also helps to reduce inflammation. This quick and easy homemade face mask only requires three ingredients: honey, banana and oats.
- In a small bowl, mash up 1/2 of a ripe banana until a paste is formed.
- Stir in 2 tablespoons of raw oats and combine well.
- Mix in 1 teaspoon of honey.
- The paste will look like a scrub.
- Massage the scrub into your face. Do this part over the sink so loose oats don’t fall to the ground.
- Leave remaining mask on for about 1 hour.
- Rinse off with warm water and pat dry.
Age-Defying Chocolate Mask
Research is always confirming that those chocolate eating habits are not just OK, but actually good for you too! Providing a mood-boosting supply of antioxidants, dark chocolate is known to give a little pick-me-up when it’s needed most. And according to SELF magazine, chocolate applied to the skin can improve the production of collagen, thanks to its anti-aging compounds. Soft and creamy, this DIY facial applies to your face like paint, which makes it a fun one to enjoy with friends.
Best of all, this face mask smells delightful and is completely edible, so you can enjoy the sweetness of dark chocolate in more ways than one. Or, make some chocolate chip cookies to enjoy at the same time.
- In a medium bowl, combine 1/2 cup cocoa powder, 3 tablespoons oats, 4 tablespoons of cream and 1/4 cup honey.
- Mix well until a creamy mixture forms.
- Apply a thin layer to your face.
- Leave mask on for 10 minutes.
- Gently rinse off with warm water.
- Pat face dry.
Strawberry Honey Mask
As the key player in nearly every homemade face mask, honey is one of the most soothing things you can apply topically. This summery, strawberry face mask from Marie Claire is meant to brighten complexion and refine pores. Strawberries are a natural antioxidant, the lemon helps to preserve skin and the lactic acid from the Greek yogurt aids in removing dead skin cells. Overall, this mask works beautifully across all skin types.
- In a small bowl, blend 3 strawberries and 1 ounce lemon juice.
- Combine with 1 serving size Greek yogurt and 1 ounce honey. Mix well.
- Put in freezer for 20 minutes.
- Rinse face and then apply layer of mask.
- Let sit for 10 minutes (time with your BABY-G watch!)
- Remove with warm water and pat dry.
Two-Ingredient Brown Sugar Scrub
For an exfoliating scrub that only requires two ingredients – brown sugar and virgin coconut oil – give this brown sugar scrub from SELF magazine a try. Combining equal parts of each ingredient, you can create a soft and gentle scrub. Apply the mask on your face using circular motions and leave on for just a few minutes. Rinse with warm water and pat your face dry.
No matter which DIY mask you use, you’ll feel revitalized and refreshed afterward.
Learn more about the BABY-G BGD560-4